Even though self-exclusion tools have been around for a while, many customers are still confused with this unique opportunity. After all, they joined a certain casino to play games and not get “access denied” after a short session or two, so why should one even opt for a tool like this.
With the rise in safe and responsible gambling awareness, more and more casinos decide to allow customers to help keep their gaming habit on healthy levels. This article will discuss what self-exclusion really is and how you can use it for your own benefit.
What is Self-Exclusion?
Self-exclusion is a special status you can activate on your account. Users with activated features can ask the operator to prevent them from accessing the website for a dedicated period of time. There are a few reasons why one would do so:
- You want to keep gaming just a fun hobby of yours
- You want to avoid developing a gambling problem
- You think that staying connected to your account would lead to overspending
- You need to attend a special matter or event and can’t be distracted
- You need to cool down and take a break to stay rational
As you can see, almost all the reasons mentioned above contribute to one important goal – responsible gambling. A customer who decided to use self-exclusion can’t play any games as long as the block is active.
Even though companies can make money from problem gamblers, most trusted online casinos don’t want to benefit from such unethical business practices.
How Does Self-Exclusion Work?
The best way to explain it is to use an example. You have always wondered: can you win money in online casinos? After simple signup, you start playing. At this point, one of the two things happen:
- You get a kiss from Lady Luck and keep winning
- Luck is not on your side, and you can’t seem to win a thing
No matter the scenario, the outcome is the same – you spend so much time on the platform, you receive a notification suggesting you log out, or maybe even take a longer break.
The easiest way to do so is to activate self-exclusion. A simple click of a mouse is enough for you not to enter the site for a dedicated amount of time. Every time you try to visit, the algorithm will inform you, you have been on a self-exclusion list. This information is occasionally accompanied by a cute animation or illustration.
Types of Self Exclusion Explained
All customers must understand there are usually two ways to activate self-exclusion.
The first one is with the casino. All you need to do is click the right spot on the platform or communicate with customer support, and the casino will block you from accessing any games. In most cases, you can still make withdrawals from your account and log in or log out. Some casinos will block you completely.
This type of exclusion is usually related just to a single brand or a single company. For instance, if you are playing at Imaginary Casino, run by Imaginary LTD, the imaginarycasino.com will be the only site you won’t access. If Imaginary LTD runs Invisible Casino, as well, there is a high chance you won’t be able to play there either.
However, sometimes players want to be excluded from gaming completely. How can they achieve that?
There is no unison answer. Many organizations and Governments have their self-exclusion registers (e.g. Sweden). The player has to fill out a special form and submit it. After his private information has been processed and added to the database, they shouldn’t be able to play or sign up at any licensed online casino. Online gaming companies are obliged to regularly update their own databases, according to the information provided by the higher authority.
How Long does Self-Exclusion Last?
There are two types of self-exclusion in terms of duration:
- Short self-exclusion – can be anywhere from a few hours to a month. It is usually used by customers who tend to be hot-headed, have more important stuff to focus on, or want to rethink their strategies and gaming styles.
- Extended self-exclusion – from 3 months, up to a few years. The available period will depend from casino to casino. It is mostly used by customers who have developed some signs of problem gambling and need additional assistance to get up on their feet. Sometimes, this exclusion is not deactivated automatically, but the customer has to make a special request.
Can I Deactivate the Self-Exclusion Ahead of Time?
Once you activate self-exclusion, it is impossible to reactivate it before it runs out. So, if you opt for a 10-da exclusion and decide you still want to play some games on day 7, the company won’t allow you to do so.
It is important to understand how all the information we mention here is related to licensed casinos. Unlicensed casinos usually have much looser rules when it comes to safety management tools.
How Do I Know I Need to Activate Self-Exclusion?
This is the tricky part. Ask any gambler whether they spend too much time or get really emotional during the gaming session, and the answer will be – no. Even if they admit to being unreasonable at times, they will find a way to rationalize their behaviour. So, how can you ever know you could use a break?
Most casino companies will provide you with simple quiz or self-assessment questions to get a picture of your gaming habits. Here are some questions that may motivate you to think about activating this useful feature?
- Have you ever neglected your work because of your gambling activity?
- Have you neglected your social connections and relationships with friends and family?
- Would you rather spend time gaming than talking to a close family member?
- Are your gaming habits causing you financial troubles?
- Do you always spend all the money you deposited?
- Have you ever borrowed money to play games?
- Does gaming cause you more stress than pleasure?
- Do you want to stop but don’t know how?
Please understand that these questions are only basic guidelines that can help you determine your habits. However, even if you answer affirmatively to only one question, consider taking a break.
- A family member has a gambling problem. Can I request self-exclusion in his name?
- Every kind of self-exclusion must be requested by the players themselves regardless of the duration or type. It is impossible to prevent someone from gaming. The only exception is minors, which shouldn’t be allowed to play anyway.
- Can I activate self-exclusion for reasons other than problem gambling?
- Of course! Whether you need to focus on planning your wedding, or that big presentation at work, you can always activate it! Most reputable casinos won’t even require an explanation, as you have the right to manage your time as you like.
- My casino claims I can’t activate self-exclusion. What should I do?
- All legit and reputable casinos have this option. If yours doesn’t, consider closing your account completely and opening a new one with a casino that offers a self-exclusion tool.