Lottery, as one of the most popular forms of online gambling worldwide, is tremendously beloved by all Indians. It is fun, exciting, and convenient, as you can find a lottery vendor around every corner. But, what if there is an even more accessible way to play lotteries, with even bigger wins? Thanks to the online lottery, you can easily play lotteries alongside players from all across the globe!
What is an online lottery? Online lotto or lottery is a form of gambling that takes place on the internet and exceeds all borders and continents. It is accessible to any interested punter, no matter his jurisdiction, and India is no exception. This unique opportunity to buy a lottery ticket from the comfort of your own home is slowly but surely taking the first place as being one of the most popular forms of betting in the 21st century.
In this article, we will introduce you to all the important aspects of playing internet lotto in India, including:
Growing Popularity of Lottery in India
Gambling is as old as humanity. All great empires such as Indian, Roman, Greek, or Persian featured tales of a good gambling game. India also has a long tradition of this activity, as first mentions of gambling date back to Vedic times, and are even mentioned in holy books. The second important era in Indian gambling happened during the times when India was part of the British Empire, and even though the lottery was present, it was not as popular as horse racing and dog races, which were introduced by Britons.
The first “real” lottery in India, similar to the lottery we all play today was organized only recently, in 1967. The Indian state of Kerala banned all private lotteries, often related to underground organizations, with unclear payouts and rewards, and created a national lottery, along with transparent rules and schedules. This type of lottery was dominating the Indian market for decades to come.
Compared to ancient times, the games have changed, but the satisfaction of a good hand of cards, or guessing the winning number stays the same. However, it seems there is a change in sight, as more and more Indians prefer not to visit their local street vendors, but buy their lottery online. Busy lifestyles, desire to have our need to gamble fulfilled right then and there, and the mere practicality of online gambling, started a new era for lottery players in India.
Advantages of Online Lottery
Here, we will list some main reasons why more and more people decide to buy their lottery tickets online!
- Accessibility 24/7 – It’s pouring outside? You remembered you forgot to buy your ticket, and it’s the middle of the night? You broke a leg and can’t move out of the house? Don’t worry, as lotto tickets are bought online, and you never need to leave a house to buy one!
- Saves time – Yes, it is nice to have a chat with your local vendor, but sometimes you might be in a rush and want to buy the ticket as quickly as possible. When buying a lottery ticket online, there are no ques, small talk, or traffic jams.
- Choose your jackpot – Your local lottery might not have as huge jackpots as the lottery in the next state, but when you play online – it doesn’t matter. When it comes to the internet lottery, companies compete on who will have a better jackpot.
- Promotions and benefits – For your street vendor, you are just another friendly customer, and there is nothing much they can offer besides your ticket. On the other hand, online lotteries offer regular promotions, rewards, perks, and benefits such as VIP treatment for regular customers.
- Safety – Have you heard that story about a guy who lost a winning online lotto ticket? Yeah, we neither as you can’t just lose the online ticket. It will be right then and there in your email and on your playing account.
- Simplicity – Online tickets are created so even a 2-year old can play. They are beautifully designed, intuitive, and simply delightful to play.
- No hurry, no worry – We all know the feeling of trying to fill out a ticket, with the next person in line breathing behind our necks. When it comes to playing the lottery online, you can take all the time you need and change your mind as many times as you like.
Legal Side of Online Lottery in India
When it comes to the legal side of the lottery, many countries struggle to apply traditional lottery and game of chance laws to the new online gambling industry. The struggle remains the same in India.
First and foremost, it is important to understand how the lottery in India is not regulated by the Union Government, but by each state, thus meaning the way the lottery is handled can be different from state to state. According to the decision made by Indian Supreme Court in 2015, a state can decide to ban lotteries completely, and it is up to every state to “organize, conduct or promote” lottery within their legislative power, to ban online sales of lottery tickets, or ban lottery altogether.
The lottery is allowed in Mizoram, Maharashtra, Kerala, Sikkim, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, West Bengal, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, and Nagaland. But does this mean that lotto on the internet is illegal in all the other states? Well, not exactly.
Most Indian states ban private lotteries held by private companies founded in India, but no law prohibits Indians to participate in international online and offline lotteries. Lotteries are, just like all other types of gambling, regulated by the Public Gambling Act 1867, The Lotteries (Regulation) Act, 1998, and Gambling and lottery enterprises are prohibited under the Foreign Direct Investment Policy in India. However, these apply only to Indian companies and companies who want to operate directly from India. However, Punjab and Kerala ban all foreign and domestic online lotteries. Others, like Sikkim, Meghalaya, and Nagaland, encourage it.
The biggest lottery in India is the Playwin Lottery that is organized by the Sikkim government, and available in Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Maharashtra, Sikkim, and West Bengal. However, when it comes to jackpots and winning, it simply can’t compete with big international lotteries available on the internet.
How We Review Online Lotteries
If you are convinced to buy your tickets online, you might wonder what the best place to do so is. In our online lotto reviews, we do our best to provide unbiased and balanced information about all the popular gambling firms that offer this type of entertainment. Here is how we do it!
Every reputable lottery company that operates online, will have a valid license. Some of the most prestigious licenses are those issued by the authorities in Gibraltar, Alderney, or Gambling Commission of the UK. The license is more than just a random set of letters and numbers, and it is a guarantee that the lottery company obeys all laws, regulations, and recommendations provided by the licensing authority. It is also possible for the company to lose the license if they fail to do so, so players should consider the license an additional level of protection.
Yes, licensed lotteries are considered to be safe, but other factors affect the safety of certain online providers. For example, we highly value lotteries that use advanced protocols to ensure encryption of your data, such as SSL. The lottery should also have all company information transparently published on its website.
Some people consider how lotteries that have offline vendors as well are safer, but that isn’t necessarily true, simply because online lotteries can be run by legitimate companies just like offline lotteries can. It is more critical that a company delivers a real playing experience, and doesn’t use false advertising in terms of fake winners, false promises, or rigged numbers.
There is nothing wrong with buying a ticket with the new kid on the block, but it is always wiser to purchase your lottery ticket from a reputable and well-established company. On our website, we recommend only companies that have an amazing reputation and positive comments from their users. If we hear a complaint, we take a second look at the company and remove our recommendation if it turns out to be crooked.
We always recommend lotteries that have at least a couple of payment methods for Indian players, and if those methods turn out to be convenient, fast and cheap – even better! In our experience, vouchers and e-wallets turn out to be the most practical payment methods, while fewer and fewer punters rely on the old-fashioned bank transfer. Of course, credit cards and debit cards are always welcomed, as they are considered to be the safest method that is available worldwide.
Also, we love when deposit and withdrawal methods overlap, as this usually guarantees players can control the costs and manage fees in a better manner. Of course, we appreciate fast withdrawals, as well as quick and efficient approval of any winnings.
No matter where they live, all lottery fans play for a single reason – to win, and even more, to win big. The international lottery can make this dream true as they offer bigger and bolder jackpots than any offline lottery you will encounter. The more people buy tickets, the bigger the jackpot will be because the company will have more money, and these companies operate worldwide! While we consider many factors, the number and size of the jackpots are one of the main criteria we review.
Bonuses and Promotions
Compared to online lotteries, your street vendor has little to none to offer. Online companies oriented on lotteries will offer amazing bonuses and promotions for their customers. For example, they can offer a classic buy one ticket, get one ticket free, or some variation of it. Regular customers can also get bonus money they can spend on additional tickets, or a special discount when buying a bunch of tickets at once.
If you are new to the world of the lottery, companies have special treats waiting just for you. In the internet lotto market where every customer counts, companies compete to offer the best welcome bonuses possible. These usually include special discounts or several free tickets, depending on the deposit, or a free scratchcard that can bring you even more bonuses. VIP programs allow you to save even more money and play even more tickets as special treatment is guaranteed. Some lotteries even have a cashback system, which guarantees that you will get a certain percentage of your money back, even if your ticket isn’t a winning one.
Just like players love lotto online for being convenient, they expect to have instant mobile access to their tickets from their phones. For this reason, we always give a few extra points if the lottery has a reliable and responsive mobile website, as this means players can simply carry their tickets in their pockets, or buy new ones when they have some time to spare. Of course, the mere fact the lottery has a mobile website isn’t enough. The design has to be adjusted to small screens, different types of devices, and still provide a superior mobile gambling experience.
How to Play Lottery Online
Do you know how to play the lottery? Have you ever been online, or are you using your smartphone every day? It doesn’t matter whether you answered yes or no because we prepared a little guide for you.
Buying online tickets is simple and straightforward, but there are still some requirements that have to be met. You must be at least 18 years old. Not even the most liberal countries support gambling among minors. If you are underaged but win a jackpot, the payout won’t be made as it would be illegal, so don’t joke around.
The next thing you’ll need is a device that can be connected to the internet – laptop, desktop computer, tablet, or smartphone. Most players in India use desktop computers and mobiles. Access to the internet is also mandatory. We always suggest using a safe wifi network, such as your home network, or only using the mobile data plan by your phone provider. Avoid using public wifi such as that in libraries, stores, etc.
You must have a playing account with the lottery company of your choice. We recommend you do it a day before the day when you plan on buying the ticket so you can verify it on time. To play the lottery, you will need a payment method supported by the lottery provider. Simply open your e-wallet, or prepare a credit card to be as efficient as possible.
Step by Step Instruction
Here’s how to do it step by step!
- Register with the lottery site of your choice, but only after reading our honest reviews.
- Select one of the countries that support online lotto in India.
- Select the lottery you want to play.
- Pick your lucky numbers.
- Also, you can always bet on lottery results with your online bookie.
- Wait for the draw.
- Ask for a payout and enjoy your winnings!
The Biggest Online Lotto Winners in India
If something sounds too good to be true, it usually isn’t, but when it comes to the lottery – everything is possible. Many Indians who decided to play the lottery all across the globe won jackpots that turned their lives around.
A woman from Kerala has won $3.2 million in the UAE lottery and promised to help underprivileged women, children as well as her and her husband’s family. Sandeep Singh experienced heartbreak but soon had girls from all across the country throwing themselves at him after he won a $30.5 million lottery. Nandlall Mangal, then a 42-year-old Indian, has won a $245.6 million Powerball jackpot. The quirky winner bought the ticket out of the blue and forgot about it until he came back home from a trip.
As you can see, the lottery may be all about luck, but if you want to win big, you must make that initial step and buy the ticket!
To ensure you understand what lotto is all about, we created a small glossary that will help you navigate the world of online lotto.
- Government lottery – lottery authorized and organized by the government on the national or local level. It is usually organized by state association, firm, or company.
- National lottery – a lottery that is available all across the country. In most countries, it is equivalent to the government lottery, but in some countries, there are also private lottery companies.
- International lottery – lottery available not only nationwide, but worldwide. In India, only the international lottery is available online.
- Lottery Syndicate – organization or group of people who buy tickets, share costs, and eventual payouts. This way, they increase their chances.
- Lottery Vendor – a person that sells lottery tickets.
- Lottery Agent – in the past this was a person who purchases a ticket instead of you, for example, in the USA. Nowadays, lottery agents are reliable online websites specialized in servicing lottery enthusiasts all over India and the rest of the world.
- Betting on Lottery – treating lottery as a sport, and betting on certain numbers or outcomes. For instance, you can bet there will be the jackpot winner and that the winning numbers will be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7…
- Instant Lottery – lotto where there is no draw, but you immediately know the result. For instance, scratchcards are instant lotteries.
- Lottery ticket – a card, email, message, or a piece of paper with numbers, symbols, etc. that proves you picked certain numbers.
- Jackpot – the biggest possible payout in the lottery, usually in millions.
- Draw – the process of picking and announcing the winning numbers, symbols, etc.
- Lottery Concierge – same as a lottery agent
- Ticket Bundle – multiple tickets bought at once
- Lottery Odds – statistics on your chances for winning. It’s pure mathematics, and for example, in a classic 6/49 game, you have a 1 in 13,983,816 chance of winning.