Keno is becoming increasingly popular in India, mainly because more and more real money online casino brands decided to provide this popular lottery-style game. The truth is told, Indians always had a soft spot for an online lottery. Even in states that have the most restrictive gaming regulations, a lottery is still allowed. No wonder the past decade has witnessed a rise in the number of keno aficionados!
This article will introduce you to the interesting history of keno, teach you to have to play, and let you know everything there is to know about this insanely popular game that can keep you entertained for hours.
Best Online Keno Sites
|₹40,000+400 FS||Read Review||Twin||1000+|
|$1000||Read Review||Spin Palace||650+|
|₹80,000||Read Review||Platinum Play||639+|
What is Keno?
As already mentioned, Keno is a lottery-based game, meaning it is a game of chance. Every player gets one or more keno cards with a numbered grids on them. Most commonly the grid contains numbers from 1 to 80, and the players can mark as many numbers as he wishes, depending on the game variant. A special machine (or computer algorithm in the case of keno online) announces winning numbers. Sometimes, this machine has balls that drop for a container, or some pellets are drawn from a bowl. The prize is paid depending on how many numbers you have guessed.
History of Keno
No casino game has a history as rich as keno! It is believed how this game dates back to 2,000 BC and originates from China. Keno is loosely based on a historical Chinese game called beige piao, or “white pigeon”. By the 3rd century BC, almost every Chinese province had at least one gaming establishment where players could play this popular game. Unlike those we use when playing keno online, original cards contained not numbers, but the first 80 characters in Qianziwen, a classic of Chinese literature. Also, it is important to mention how money collected from selling keno tickets was used to finance the building of the Great Wall of China, which makes it an essential part of Asian culture and history.
Nowadays, keno can be described as a casino lottery and is played worldwide and online. Online keno for real money has little to do with white pigeons and Chinese characters but is still as popular as it ever was.
Why is Keno so Popular in India?
As we said, Indians love to gamble, and they love the lottery even more. One of the main reasons why keno is gaining momentum is the regulatory status of gambling in most Indian states – it is still somewhat a grey zone, with many authorities making land-based gaming essentially illegal. They even forced Satta Mattka operators to work in the grey zone because this game is classified as a lottery. This means that an average Indian player can’t simply take a walk to the kiosk to buy some lottery games but has to find a regulated online casino that provides it. And most casinos only offer two types of lotteries – keno and bingo. Furthermore, the popularity of such games in India directly connects with British influence present in this country for centuries. After all, British and Irish are, alongside Indians, the biggest gamblers in the world.
How to Play Keno?
To play this game, you will obviously need a gaming operator that supports online keno in India. They can be found all across our website, and if you are still not sure, use the search bar available with every casino to see how many online keno games they offer. After signup and deposit, find the game you like and start playing. Here is how to do it!
Basic Rules of Keno
After you open your keno game, you will be able to see a ticket with numbers. Every keno variant has a limited number of numbers you can mark. Most variants support marking 20 numbers, but some of them allow only 15. All you have to do is click the numbers of your choice and submit the ticket. Here are all types of bets available at online keno casino:
- Betting on numbers – essentially filling out the card with your lucky numbers
- Betting on one – betting on a single ticket, for just a single draw
- Betting on five – betting on five tickets, for the next five draws
Then, the RNG algorithm will choose random winning numbers! You will get a payout, depending on the number of matches you score. Also, if you get the maximum number of matches right – congrats! You have just won a jackpot!
Keno is a game of chance, meaning that, unlike in poker, there is little to no strategy involved. Of course, every player has their own tactics they believe are the best and help them win that winning combination. However, there is little to no scientific proof for that. If you still want to use some strategies, here are the most popular ones!
- Check the RTP and payout rates – choose keno casinos with higher payout rates and keno variants that have a solid RTP. You can choose any volatility you want, but remember – with low volatility, you will score small winnings more frequently, while high volatility guarantees bigger wins that are harder to trigger.
- Play demo – no strategy beats the real gaming experience, so head over to the demo mode games and play for virtual money first.
- Play cold numbers – some players believe how there is no point in betting numbers that have already been drawn, so follow their cue, and bet on numbers that haven’t been announced yet.
Please remember how these strategies are not 100% foolproof and how they are no guarantee you’ll score a jackpot. However, they surely can make the entire gaming process more fun.
And like there are no two slots that are the same, there are no two keno games that provide the same gaming experience. Now, we will list some of the most popular keno variants:
- Jackpot keno – or progressive jackpot keno, is a type of game in which you win an extra huge prize if you guess correctly all the numbers. A progressive jackpot is the one that grows as more players place their bets, and the classic jackpot has already determined prize size.
- Package keno and single card keno – some keno games allow buying only one card at a time, while others allow you buying in bulk for a lower price.
- Multi-card keno – a keno type where you play multiple cards in a single drawing. Not to be confused with package keno.
- Power keno – a variant that features multipliers for getting a certain number of matches right
- All or nothing keno – you win only if you hit all the numbers right or none of them
Most of these games are available on both mobile and desktop platforms, so there is no need to list those two as separate variants.
Here is some popular keno lingo every enthusiast has to know to play it successfully.
- Auto keno – a move where you allow the software to pick the number for you, also known as quick pick.
- Ball – whatever item is being drawn from the container. It is always marked with a number, from 1 to 80.
- Blank – an unused ticket.
- Call – announcement of the drawn number.
- Caller – the person in land-based venues that announces numbers, equivalent to dealers or croupiers.
- Deuce – two numbers next to each other.
- Draw – one round in keno.
- Edge – playing numbers on the edge of the ticket.
- Field – a place in the grid with a number on it.
- Handle – all bets in one round of keno.
- Hit – when you score the number.
- Keno ticket – your card with numbers on it can be real or virtual.
- Live keno – keno played in live online casinos.
- Multi-game ticket – when you use one ticket in multiple draws.
- Online keno – RNG keno played at online casinos.
- Paybook – also known as paytable, shows you how much you win for each combination or match.
- Pattern ticket – when the player marks a number to make a pattern, e.g. a heart.
- Video keno – RNG keno, played at online casinos. It uses software to draw numbers and not a real casino employee.
Tips for Playing Keno
Just like when it comes to strategies, there aren’t as many tips for playing keno. However, we managed to figure out a couple of tips and tricks that can help you keep the luck by your side.
- Buy multiple tickets at once – that is one of the easiest ways to cut costs. For instance, most casinos charge you $1 per ticket, but $3.75 per bundle of 5.
- Keep track – keep track of numbers that have appeared in previous rounds, especially if you want to implement a cold number strategy.
- Keep track of money – keno rounds can be incredibly fast and very entertaining, so try to keep track of how much you have spent and how much you have won.
- Check the paytable – not all keno variants and types are the same, and they tend to offer different payouts on the same number of matches. Find the one that is optimum for you, even if you have to do some research.
- Don’t force it – if things aren’t going your way, find another game to play. Also, if you are on a lucky streak, stay real and stop playing while it is still profitable for you.
Where to Play Keno Online?
Keno is nowaday available at almost all online casinos, including those listed on our website. When choosing the casino to play keno with, use the same precautionary measures as always – choose licensed operators that offer great bonuses with realistic wagering requirements, and have many payment methods added to their portfolio. Also, try to find a casino with customer support in the form of a live chat, as they provide simple, easy and fast access to all information and help in case you need some.
Finding a good casino to play keno is not always easy, as there are so many brands on the market (and not to mention, new ones pop up every day). To keep this process as short as possible, and so you can play your new favourite game starting today, choose one of the casinos we already reviewed for you.
1️⃣ Is keno the same as bingo?
- Event hough similar, keno is a completely different game than bingo. Keno is much more simple, as there are no patterns you have to score to get a winning ticket.
2️⃣ Is keno legal in India?
- As long as you play keno in licensed online casinos, there is nothing to worry about. No law explicitly bans keno from India or makes it illegal.
3️⃣ How many numbers are there in keno?
- Keno is played with 80 numbers, but only 20 (or 15, depending on the game) can be winning numbers.
4️⃣ In which language is keno played?
- At online casinos, most keno variants are played in English, but some offer to play in other popular languages as well. Check out the menu of your keno game to find out if there is an alternative to English.